Report an injury

If someone is injured at work, or they become sick because of their work, it should be reported to the employer within 24 hours and the worker should seek immediate medical attention.

A worker should report their injury or illness to the employer whether they intend to make a claim for workers compensation or not.

An injury or illness can be reported verbally or in writing. If a worker is unable to make a report, one can be made by a representative such as a family member or friend.

Usually, a WorkCoverSA claim form is used to report an injury or illness. You must include the following details:

  • the day, time and place that the injury or illness occurred;
  • a detailed description of the injury or illness, including the part of the body affected; and
  • a description of how the injury or illness occurred.

An employer must then forward this information within five calendar days their claims agent or WorkCover. If an employer is self-insured, they will have their own claims manager and will follow their own internal processes.

Fatalities and serious injuries

When a person is killed at work, or requires admittance to a hospital due to illness or injury at work, the employer must immediately report the incident to SafeWork SA on emergency telephone 1800 777 209 (24 hour service).

Information about supports and services for workers with a serious injury and their family members can be accessed from the Workers with a Serious Injury page.


FAQ: My employer wants to sack me now that I've made a claim – can they?

Legally you can’t be sacked for being hurt at work or for making a workers compensation claim. If it does happen, report it to your case manager and/or seek independent legal advice.

© 2014 WorkCover Corporation of South Australia  |  Accessibility  |  Sitemap  |  Documents A-Z  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy  |  Conditions of use  |  Email the Web Administrator